Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pray-er

There are frequent New Testament accounts
Of Jesus rising early in the morning,
Before the sun is even up,
And seeking a quiet, solitary spot
Where he can spend time
Praying with the Father.

I am beginning to understand
Why he had to do that...
Because his prayer list
Must have been immense
In comparison to mine,
And I now seek time away and alone
Simply to pray for those people or situations
That I have knowledge of.
(Imagine how long it would be,
The prayer list of
The Son of God!
It's amazing He slept at all!)

Something strange
Is starting to happen...
My friends are starting to ask me
To pray for them
And their intentions.
"Pray for my friend Mike,
One treatment away from beating lung cancer."
"Pray for my friend Cindy,
Who had brain surgery
And is still recovering."
"Pray for my dad Oleg,
Sick in Toronto,
And no one knows exactly what's wrong with him."

So many petitions, Lord,
I am bringing,
And keep bringing
To You.
I feel like a child,
Running into Your House,
Yelling, "Daddy! Daddy!"
And then telling You
The next thing that I need Your Help with.
But it's more than that, even...

My own house used to be
The place my friends sought when in distress.
My friends would seek my parents' advice.
My home was always open to them,
And my parents never turned anyone away,
Even if they didn't like them or trust them.
In my head, I am reliving this scenario...
I'm bringing my friends to Your House,
And telling You about them,
And asking You to help them, too.

Father,
Forgive me for those moments
Of half-assed praying,
When I'm either too tired or distracted
To really focus on communion with You.
Forgive me for those moments
Of not listening,
When I'm too busy yammering
To hear Your Response.
Continue to be gracious to me;
"Save me in your kindness." *
Draw me to You,
And protect me
From myself,
My enemies,
My well-intentioned friends,
And the world at large.

"Lord, teach us to pray,"
Was something that the Apostles
Asked of Jesus.
They saw the direct correlation
Between His prayer life
And His God-given powers.
Lord,
Teach me to pray...
To reach up to You,
And let You reach down to me...
To listen, and act accordingly,
To continue to bring things to You,
On behalf of myself
And my loved ones...
To pray with ever-increasing boldness and clarity,
As You use me to work Your Will in this sphere...

Father,
Help me empty myself
Of myself
To be filled
With You.
Every day,
Help me become more like Your Son.

Meet me whenever and wherever
I seek Your Face...

* Psalm 31: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment