Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pete's Perilous Journey

Pete
Was picked up
At One MetroTech Center North
A little before 4 PM
On Tuesday afternoon.

I had packaged him
With styrofoam and newspaper,
And poured him and his water
Into a double-layered fish-carrying plastic bag.
A heat pack went with him,
In an attempt to keep him warm.

Pete became a celebrity,
As people inquired why
I had brought a goldfish to work,
And did I really intend to
Overnight him to Arizona?
He was prayed for
By many people that day.
No one knew
How a goldfish would travel
In the belly of a plane!

He was at JFK at 11 PM.
His next checkpoint was Rockford, IL at around 3 AM.
He landed in Phoenix, and was loaded onto the truck, at about 5:25 AM.
At 7:15, he was left on the porch
Of Adalheid's home.

I was on the phone with her
As she opened the package,
And found Pete, very much alive,
(And rather hungry!)
Swimming around in his travel arrangement.
I jumped up in my chair at the office
And gave a thumbs up to several people
Who had already asked me how he was.

To place this all in context,
The box that Pete was supposed to travel in
Got damaged along the way.
"The corals are dead," Adalheid told me.
The king was devastated
Over the loss of his beautiful coral...
And surely, Pete would have suffered
A similar fate had he accompanied them
As had been originally planned.

I wonder what Pete saw and heard
As he traveled.
I would like to think
That he was aware of the Divine Presence
Comforting him, keeping him safe
As he flew across the United States.
In my mind's eye I see...
Jesus, in the cargo hold,
Peering at Pete through the cardboard box,
And smiling to himself
Over that silly girl Blanca
Who was so nervous about his trip.

I couldn't wipe the smile from my face
All day yesterday.
I will gladly - joyously! -
Serve the Lord
Who was kind enough to preserve
The life of one left-behind, forgotten goldfish!

1 comment:

  1. Everything and everyone in God's creation has intrinsic value and is loved--first and foremost by the Creator himself. Thanks to the LORD for protecting Pete by way of oversight. A lesson to us all that unexpected obstacles are often for our benefit!

    ReplyDelete