Friday, February 24, 2012

Midpoint Praise

Lord,
The king and I
Had a conversation last night
And the two of us shared
The same thought:
The journeys to Arizona
Have reached their midpoint,
And everyone who has gone so far
Has gotten there just fine.

With the exception of a piece of luggage,
Adalheid, the momma and Fifi,
Peany, her son and Snooki
Are all comfortably settling in.
"Better you forgot you Mom's clothes
Than her medications," I reminded Adalheid.

The birds arrived in one piece,
All feathers, beaks, and talons in tact!
No heart attacks, no body dysfunctions
From changes in altitude
As the vet had implied.

I had sung to Spanky yesterday morning,
Sung to him "Edelweiss," which he loves.
And then I had told him,
"Now you have a safe trip,
And don't be afraid of anything!
You and I
Are going to play in the backyard,
In the Arizona sunshine!"
He looked sideways at me, like, "Yeah?"
I kissed my little Sienna.
I tried to get Corky to respond to me,
But she wasn't so inclined.
Then I asked You to bless the birds,
And give them a safe flight.

I left the house
With my heart in my mouth.
All day I pestered You.
All day I petitioned You,
And all day the voices
That battle for dominance
Waged war inside my mind.
The me that is still bound up in the world
Doubted and worried.
Christ at work within me
Kept reassuring me
That no harm would come to the birds.

You have been gracious to us,
My God and King!
Safe passage for half the household
You have granted us so far!
Thank You, thank You,
For your steadfast love and protection!
Continue to be with us
As wave 3 and 4
Make their respective trips.
Continue to be with us
As we settle into our new home,
And bless that home,
And fill it with love
As it was filled in Brooklyn...

I know You're here,
Guiding us.
We are grateful,
And humbled,
And awed
To be able to call You
"Father..."

No comments:

Post a Comment