Thursday, April 28, 2011

Glimpses of Grace and Glory

Moses asked to see God, and was told,
"No one may see God and live."
Yet Jesus on the mountaintop
Revealed the Almighty's Glory
To His three companions. 
They all survived.
What happened in that encounter
Continues now. 
Jesus is reconciling the world to 
The Triune Godhead. 
The temple of the curtain was torn in two
From top to bottom
(Just in case there was any question Who was doing the tearing).
The Holy Spirit rushed in 
And quaked the upper room.
Unmerited, free Grace 
Poured,
And continues to pour
Into the lives of the faithful,
Hinting at the Lord's Power,
And the eclipsing might of His Glory. 

Lord,
I encountered you in my apartment,
After my own fears and misgivings - 
Lies and deceit - 
Resulted in the loss of my home. 
When I stepped into the apartment - 
In those first seconds when I saw
Echoes of my childhood homes - 
You spoke to my soul 
As audibly as a person standing next to me. 
You said,
"You have sinned,
But I am still with you."
A few days later,
When I heard the bells of St. Finbar's
And saw the illuminated cross 
From the back of the Chinese Church,
I felt again your grace
Transforming my guilt and grief. 
You alone have the power to shield and forgive me,
And I will praise You
For the tender mercies,
For the glimpses of grace and glory
That continue to bless my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment