Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Misfit

A prayer of thanksgiving.

Lord,
Only You know how many times
I have uttered in my soul,
"Why have you made me thus?"
I have rarely felt at home
With anyone or any group
I have ever been part of.
My family, my friends, my peers
Have often whispered about the oddness
That envelops me.
I am never "enough" of any one trait or affiliation
To satisfy others.
Neither Caucasian nor Hispanic.
Neither Catholic nor Protestant.
Neither Democrat nor Republican.
Neither Liberal nor Conservative
Neither a citizen nor an alien.
Someone who often felt like a boy
Trapped in female form,
A floating consciousness more at home in books
Than in her own flesh.
A mind awash with love, wonder and awe,
Yet burdened with the Spirit of Heaviness.
I am an old soul in a young body,
A white collar worker with blue collar tastes.
Unutterably sensitive, yet proven resilient.
Full of compassion, yet critical of the follies of humanity,
With the heart of a poet,
And the steeliness of a life-hardened warrior.
A stumbling sinner who cannot extend
Forgiveness to herself
With the same ease she does to others.
Lord,
I am a mystery to myself.
Why have you made me thus?

The answer flows through me
Before the cry has finished
Escaping my lips
"Would a box or a label satisfy you?
Would you appreciate others' vantage points better
If yours was more narrow?
I have made you thus
To do My Work:
To mourn with those who mourn,
And laugh with those who laugh.
To be hot and cold,
Strong and weak,
Angry and forgiving,
Frustrated and patient,
Cruel and compassionate,
Whoever I need you to be
In every circumstance I place you.
Because you claim no allegiance,
No allegiance can claim you,
And you are free to do My Will
As I dictate to you."

"But Lord," I counter,
"There's nowhere I belong."

"My child," He whispers,
"You are exactly where you belong...
With Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment