Saturday, April 9, 2011

Prayer, Richard J. Foster Style

It is a suggestion
In Celebration of Discipline:
How to sanctify one's imagination
"For the work of
The Kingdom of God."
The line reads:
"In a bus or plane we can invite Jesus
To walk down the aisles,
Touching people on the shoulder
And saying, 'I love you'."
The suggestion strikes me as odd and interesting.
Of course I want to try it.
I am on the train, and in my mind's eye
I see
...Jesus...
Tapping people
Saying good morning
Smiling
Telling them to have a good day at work
Whispering to the sleeping young man who looks like he's been working for three weeks straight
That it will get better soon.
Exhorting the stressed out
Mother of three
To turn to Him for the courage she needs to stay strong
For the family that needs her.
He is here, there,
Everywhere,
Greeting,
Welcoming,
Obliging,
Helping,
Strengthening,
Guiding,
Healing.
Now...
Jesus rides the train with me
Many mornings.
We observe our fellow straphangers
I see them through His eyes,
Fallen creatures in a broken creation,
In dire need of God's grace.
I flash prayers at the people
In obvious pain, distress, and exhaustion,
And smile broadly imagining Him riding the train with me.
Lord,
Is this Kingdom work?
Is this Incarnation manifested?
Is this what You mean by praying without ceasing?
Then sanctify what You gave me!
Use my imagination
To bring Your Kingdom
One step closer to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment