Monday, April 4, 2011

Wednesdays This Lent

I have never consistently practiced
Actions to bring me closer
To You. 
This Lent, I seek You
Through a new discipline. 
Was it not food that brought about
The Fall?
Was it not for a bowl of soup
That Esau gave away his birthright?
Was it not food that the enemy 
First used to tempt Your Anointed 
After His trials in the wilderness?
I experience grace more fully
When my stomach lies empty
I pray more clearly
When the blood fills my brain
Instead of my belly
I know I am unlocking something precious 
Because the temptations flare hot and furious
On Wednesdays this Lent. 
Lord, draw me closer to You
Replace the hungers of my body
With the hunger for Your Word,
Your Spirit
Nourish me with the Bread and Blood
Of Your Son,
The true Manna,
The fulfillment of every longing
In my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment