Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tongue

Lord, 
You used words 
To create the Universe. 
You spoke, 
And we became. 
Why, then, do I use words 
To weaken, to destroy,
To abuse, to lie?
Why do I think one thing
And say another?
Why do words exit my mouth 
Without thought,
Or fear of consequences?

Tongue - 
Evil member of my dust-destined body - 
Be bridled!
Learn restraint and control!
Learn praise and edification!
Be still, not ever eager
To tear down and desecrate,
To curse and profane. 
You, too, are a member of the Body, 
A piece of the Temple of 
The Living God,
And your use must be conformed
To the Spirit residing in the Temple. 

Lord,
Make me slow to think,
Slow to judge,
Slow to react,
Slow to speak. 
In the stillness of your Voice,
Teach me how to control
This viper that prowls
Through Your Glorious Temple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment