Monday, March 5, 2012

Uncluttering...

Final stages
Of packing up
And cleaning out
The apartment.

This place -
My refuge since November 2009 -
I wish I had spent more time here,
And done more to make it homey,
But perhaps I would've become too attached.
Perhaps even that has its purpose.

I am folding and packaging -
Dismantling and discarding -
Donating and selling -
A lifetime's worth of objects.
My prayer is simple,
And oft repeated
As I break down furniture,
Or carry it downstairs in one piece...
As I bring bags of clothing to the church,
Or guard cups in bubble wrap...

Lord,
Let these things go
To people who need them,
And can use them.
There is so much need in the world!
People are doing without
So many simple things!
A life can be transformed
In a moment's disaster -
Fire and flood and twister
Can wipe out a lifetime's possessions
In the blink of an eye.

I remember life
After the fire.
I remember that feeling
Of being homeless, dispossessed,
Wondering what the next day would bring.
I remember people bringing us
The items and accoutrements of daily life:
Sheets and linens,
Clothes and shoes,
Cups and plates.
Our friend the UPS driver
Even brought us a mattress.

Those possessions brought us hope.
We realized that we could rebuild again.

And so,
I am praying as I pack.
Lord,
Work in that way that You do,
And provide for those who need
From the gifts and possessions
You have given me
Which I now return to You...

No comments:

Post a Comment