Thursday, June 30, 2011

Microcosm

"You know what your problem is?"
She asked me
In that knowing way
That reveals me.
"You can't let anything go."
It is one of the traits
I loathe about myself,
Played out 
In the microcosm of the office,
And the macrocosm of life. 
The dwelling and brooding
Are so loud,
So consuming sometimes,
That I nearly drown
In their wake. 
I disintegrated slightly
In my boss' office
As she tried to make sense of
What was unraveling me. 
I left, feeling foolish and tongue-tied,
Having allowed ridiculous emotions
Over inconsequential nonsense
To master me again. 
I am Switchfoot's "Mess of Me" embodied -
Stressed out,
Strapped,
Overwhelmed,
And sleep-deprived. 
I could only shake my head
And walk away,
Leaving her to wonder
What was eating at me. 
As I said goodnight,
I am not sure if it was disgust I saw
Written on her face. 
Disgust in my weakness? 
My cracking?
My inability to pull myself 
Out of the hole I place myself into?

Today, 
She tells me
That it has been one time too many
That I have left her office
Making her look like 
The bad guy
Over nothing. 
She tells me
She is going to pull back,
Away from me,
And I feel her noninvolvement with me
Like a blight all day. 

O Lord,
The absence of her
Burns worse than the scrutiny
I am so fearful of encountering.
I did not mean to offend,
But I have done it regardless.  
Help her understand 
That I am my own rock of offense,
My own stumbling stone.

Lord...
You and I know
That You use the Aussie
To speak words to me
For my spiritual edification. 
If this is an analogy
Of life with You
Versus life without You...
I submit to Your scrutiny,
Your teaching. 
Give me correction and Presence
Because Your Absence
Isn't something I can bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment