Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Incarnation

The trouble with humans
Is that we are sensory creatures. 
Five conduits relay so much of the  information
That we continually rely on. 
While Moses was on Sinai
Receiving the Commandments,
Israel demanded a god they 
Could see and touch and pay homage to
(They couldn't stand
The sensory deprivation!)
The golden calf incident
Didn't end well for them. 
The problem remains unchanged. 
How do we encounter a God
Who is ever-present
But inaccessible to our senses?

The trouble with humans 
Is that we seek to encapsulate God
And we cannot truly do so
In any mode of thinking. 
We want to box Him in, turn Him into 
Something less than He is. 
He's so mighty, so powerful, so supreme and overarching;
We can't wrap our brains around Him. 
Rather than wrestling with the thoughts,
We disregard Him outright,
And don't seek to know Him better. 

These two struggles
Have been resolved
In Jesus Christ. 

I will never be able to fully contemplate 
The Creator of the Universe,
But I can contemplate a man,
Even if that Man
Is the Son of the Living God. 
I may say in my bitter thoughts
What does God know about our suffering?
But I can recall the sufferings of Jesus
And dwell on the Immortal 
Donning mortality,
Choosing to be reviled, tortured, and murdered
So that I can claim a stake 
In the inheritance of Eternity. 
Yes, He rose,
But oh, how He staggered 
Beneath the weight 
Of humanity's sins. 
I cannot fathom The Heavenly City,
Or the New Heavens and New Earth,
Where the Spirit of the Lord
Will freely dwell,
But I can envision a Man,
Smiling, laughing even,
Walking towards me
With outstretched arms,
Saying, "At last! 
I've been waiting for you!
Welcome home!" 

Jesus, Emmanuel,
My elder brother and co-heir
Of the promises of The Kingdom,
Let me see You 
In all people and situations.
Be always embodied before me,
God Incarnate,
Who I can envision and cling to
All the days of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment