Monday, July 4, 2011

Daniel Fast

In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks. I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks. Daniel 10:2,3.

Father...
You have told us
To first seek the Kingdom of Heaven. 
The ancients understood
That prayer and fasting 
Was a way to destroy spiritual barriers.
Our fiscal year is starting next week,
And I have not been able 
To remove from my head
The idea of a Daniel fast
To kick off this new year. 
Adalheid and the king
Think I am nuts. 
I'm sure Zhenya thinks so too. 
But the thought has been with me
Since reading Franklin's book,
And I am taking that to mean
That it is something I should do. 

My Lord God,
Give me the strength 
To not waver in my fast. 
I have already experienced
Otherworldly insights and emotions,
Divine kisses from the Holy Spirit,
From a day's fast.
What will three weeks yield?

I fear I am not prepared enough. 
I fear the cravings that regularly possess me. 
I fear that I don't know the first thing 
About practically conducting myself during this time. 
I fear that I am not spiritually prepared enough
To embark on this. 
I only know that I am going to the supermarket,
Stocking up on fruits and vegetables,
And doing more praying than usual.
Lord,
Is that enough?

Lord,
I have sinned greatly,
Against You,
And Your Creation. 
Forgive me my sins. 
Our department has sinned,
Against You, 
Against each other, 
And against others. 
Forgive us, Father. 
Forgive us,
Not because we deserve it
(For we do not),
But because You are righteous,
And holy, and merciful. 

Lord,
We ask for your blessing 
As we embark on this new fiscal year. 
We ask that You would bless
Our leaders -
Give them good judgment, wisdom, discernment,
Patience, perseverance, and inspiration. 
We ask that You would bless 
Our sales team -
Give them an honest and helpful spirit,
Wisdom in strategizing and selling,
And a sense of family
That keeps them from harming each other.
We ask that You would bless
The support team,
Myself and the interns. 
Make the work of our hands
Fruitful and productive,
A lifting of the burdens of the team,
A bridge of communication between the various departments,
A fountain of insightful information to any who drink from it,
An encouragement, a fortifier, 
A servant in spirit and truth to all. 

Almighty God,
Heavenly Father
And Keeper of my life,
Help me draw nearer to You
At this time. 
Touch my heart,
Speak to me
As I seek
Deeper communion with You. 
I am little more than dust. 
My life is but a breath. 
But I believe that You
Have prepared a place for me
Near You. 
Lead me along. 
Guide my steps
As I walk this earth
In pilgrimage 
Towards You. 

Author's Note: a Daniel Fast food list can be found here:
http://danielfast.wordpress.com/daniel-fast-food-list/.
An overview of the Daniel Fast can be found here:
http://www.daniel-fast.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment