Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Runner

Abba,
I spent the better part of my life
Running from my parents,
My sister,
My peers,
And my friends.
I had multiple selves,
Swappable like cell phone casings,
Exchangeable at a moment's notice.

My running days,
By and large,
Are over.
The sensitive, warm, weird, quirky,
Smart, naive, dense, emotional parts of me,
Along with all the other facets
Of my personality,
Are finally melding into a
Cacophonous whole,
Presented for the entire world
To see... And judge.

You have spoken to me
Using Holy Writ.
You have taught me
What really matters,
And this has brought me
To a place of rest:

But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

Abba,
For my friend
Who is figuratively on the run
On multiple fronts,
Give her strength to run towards
The things worth running towards...
Give her peace to stop running from
The elements contributing to her leading
A fragmented life,
However small the cracking is.
Give her discernment and wisdom
To choose to run or stand
As You see fit!...

No comments:

Post a Comment