Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ruminations on the Passing of a Brooklyn Rose

I place the rose
Upon the casket,
Whispering to its occupant,
"See you soon, my dear."

I weep. I smile.
I marvel at the fullness of life on earth
Led by my sister in Christ.
I laugh, remembering
My own run-ins with her.
I hug many,
The encouraging lights for my life
Found in the hallowed halls
Of New Utrecht.

Lord,
How many more passings,
Until my own?
How many more eulogies,
How many more seeing-offs,
Sending-offs,
Until you call me home?

You have called my parents,
And more people precious to me
Than I can count.
But you have brought me to places
Where I have found other lights
(Your doing, no doubt),
And so there has been a steady stream
Of earthly illumination on my path.
I hear You,
See You
Reflected in the love and warmth
Of so many others.
My life has been truly blessed.
Thank you.

Lord,
Place before me
The path I am to tread,
The lives I am supposed to intersect with,
The ways and means
To do things pleasing to You.
When the time comes
That You speak my name,
And call me to You,
Grant that I may be reunited
With all those lost to me.
Grant that I may once again
See Nanny's radiant smile,
Hear Daddy's high-pitched burst of laughter,
And feel the force of Mommie's embrace.
Grant that what is spoken of me
By the people I will leave behind
Is a simple,
"Thus departs from us
A child of the Most High God!..."

No comments:

Post a Comment