Sunday, October 16, 2011

Valley Prayer for S

Lord,
After a two week absence,
The intern came back to our offices yesterday.
She had just returned from Haiti,
From the funeral of her older brother
Who I imagine was younger than me.

I don't know how we started talking.
I noted the shock and consternation as she spoke.
"Everything would be okay
If he just came back."

She hasn't slept in over two weeks.
She can't bring herself to listen to music.
She calls his phone.
She walks past his bedroom expecting him to emerge.
She is in that haze of disbelief
I remember all too well.

Her mother is in a bad way.
She won't get out of bed.
She won't eat.

Lord,
We spoke for a long time.
I tried to comfort her
As gently as I could.
I kept asking You
To steer my words.
There were moments
When I felt that prickle
That signaled Your Spirit
At work in me.

It's impossible to tell someone
They will make it to the other side of grief.
They simply learn by doing.
It's a hard lesson to learn.

Father,
Let it be
That my words helped her,
And encouraged her to turn to You.
Let it be
That she sleeps this weekend...
That Your Hand tenderly guides her mom
Out of the pit of despair...
That this family,
Shattered by the tragic death of their only son,
Seeks You in their grief,
And finds Hope in Your Son.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment