Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cohesion

There are teams
That function together
As well-oiled machines,
Who share a kind of group-mind
That allows them to carry on
As a unit.

Lord,
That is not my classified team.

They think and behave
Like the city-states
Of Italy did
Before unification.
Warring factions -
Competing jealousies -
Divisive loyalties -
They withdraw into themselves
When the going gets tough.
They do not listen enough
To advice or instruction.
They are
Quick to argue,
Quick to blame,
Quick to pass the buck.
They don't understand
Management's accountability
For their actions.
They don't understand
How overwhelming it can be
For one sales manager
And one director
And one glorified Gal Friday
To support them
Without becoming drained
In the process.

Lord,
I love the people on my team,
But I sometimes hate
The way that they work.
I hate the beleaguered look
I often see
In the Aussie's eyes.
I am bringing this to You.
I am at a loss.

I exist in a strange position
In that netherworld where
I am not a rep,
But not management either.
I'm the go-to person
For everyone,
Tech support
And Mother Confessor
Rolled into one.
I see the disheartenment of the team.
I see the disheartenment of management.
I myself wrestle between
Frustration and apathy.
If there's anything
I can practically do
To help everyone,
Reveal that to me.
If not,
Then come among us,
I pray.
Come,
And change our hearts
So that we see and acknowledge
One another...
So that we learn
Patience, and endurance, and obedience, and
Brotherly love and affection
For each other.
Make us operate well together, Lord,
A cohesive unit
With members willing and able
To strive for the sake of the team,
And not just for the sake of ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment