Monday, September 26, 2011

Vending Machine God

It was an innocent comment,
Made while we were serving food
At the community lunch.
One of the women being served
Said that we ought to be paid
For our time serving the community.
"We don't do this to get paid,"
One of the coordinating women replied.
"We do it to get blessings."

It wasn't until later
When I was walking the dogs
That I realized why the woman's reply
Bothered me so.
That's not why we do it either,
I realized.

A vending machine God:
I put in the right amount of change
(Good deeds, clean living, tithes, etc),
And God spits out the desired selection
(Blessings on my life, no hardships along the way, etc).
Right?

What a recipe for disaster
And endless disappointment!
A new kind of legalism,
Embodying the age-old agenda:
"What's in it for me?"

Lord,
Why is it so easy to lose
Sight of You?
Why do we miss the point entirely,
That we're doing these things
Not to seek You for what You can do for us,
But because it is fitting
To give You glory and praise...
Because You have given us
Breath and life and
Our lives should be a
Call and response love song
Sung back to You.

That's the point...
Of everything -
Our lives -
Our circumstances -
Our tribulations -
Our callings.

Lord,
Grant that,
In the whirligig of my everyday,
I do not lose
Sight of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment