Friday, September 30, 2011

On the Offensive

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints (Ephesians 6:10-18)

The belt of truth -
(Gotta lose a few pounds to get that to fit right...)
Check.
The breastplate of righteousness -
(Thank God we're not talking about my righteousness here,
Or this thing would be tin foil)
Check.
The readiness of the gospel of peace
To protect my two little feet
Wherever they may take me -
(I'm as graceful as a bull in a china shop,
And could use the extra traction)
Check.
The shield of faith -
(Because I know the Adversary
Is hurling things my way)
Check.
The helmet of salvation -
(Well...I have always liked to wear hats...)
Check.
These are my defensive weapons.

Five defensive pieces of armor,
Five denoting the unmerited, free Grace of God.
How fitting.
(There are no accidents.)

But there is one more piece
To this warrior's armor,
The only piece mentioned
That is my weapon,
The object I can use
To put the Enemy
On the defensive:
The sword of the Spirit,
Which is the Word of God
Praying at all times in the Spirit
With all prayer and supplication.

Lord,
We both know
I hardly had a sword to use
Until rather recently.
You gave me salvation,
But I didn't understand
The putting to death of the old me,
And the putting on of the Christ.
I didn't understand
The depth and breadth of the war,
And how our actions
Are maneuvers on the
Battlefield of life.

In my mind's eye,
I am wielding something
That best resembles
Andúril, Aragon's sword from The Lord of the Rings
It is a sword forged from
The Word of God -
The Holy Spirit at work -
The prayers of the Faithful.
It glows an iridescent blue
That bathes me in a sphere of light
As I kneel in fealty
Before the Throne of Grace.

"My Lord God and King,
El-Shaddai,
Ancient of Days,
Endue me with the Holy Spirit.
May my prayers,
And the prayers of the Faithful,
Rise from the altar
Before Your Throne. *
Hear us, O Lord!
Be with us!
Fill me with You!
Teach me Your Ways,
That I may stand firm
Against the Adversary!"

In my mind's eye,
I rise to my feet,
Take up my stance
In the classic longsword Ochs style,
And give thanks
To the Eternal I AM.
The blue glow of the sword
Balloons beyond my field of vision,
Encompassing the lives I
Have touched -
Am touching -
Will touch -
And I feel God's Mercy and Grace,
Justice and Lovingkindness,
Flowing through me
Out into the glow...
Out beyond the glow...
Out and out and out...
Ever out,
Kissing Eternity's edge.

As for you, Adversary...
En guard.
En guard, you bastard.
I see you now.
May Almighty God ever protect and guide me
Everywhere I encounter you.

We're going to rout you.
Your days are numbered.

* And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel. (Revelation 8:3, 4 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment