Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

Father,
Today marks the tenth anniversary of 9/11.
I was supposed to be
At World Trade Center Building 5
The morning the towers fell.
I overslept, and punked out
On the job I was meant to apply for.
I was coming back from the store
With a bag of cat litter in my hand
When I heard people shouting in their homes
And everywhere, everywhere
I suddenly heard TV or radio broadcasts.
"Two planes have crashed into
The Twin Towers. "
I turned northwest on Gerritsen Avenue,
And beheld a plume of smoke
Rising out of the curve of the earth.

I remember trying to reach friends
Who worked or studied in Manhattan
And Washington, D.C.
I remember news trickling in
About neighborhood first responders
Who wouldn't be coming home.
I remember standing in my backyard
While occasional pieces of burnt paper
Floated down from the sky.

Life has changed since then.
Nothing could be the same after that.

Father,
This is not a prayer for vengeance.
This is a cry of longing,
Longing for creation's redemption.
How long will You leave us
In a broken universe?
How long before this world,
Laid waste,
Beholds the Glory of Your Son?
How long before The Branch of David
Fills his seat on the Throne,
As You promised David that He someday would?
Your children watch the earth's decay,
Understanding that this is all
Part of Your Plan,
But we wish that
You would hurry up
And redeem creation already.
We know that we are not at home,
And can never be truly home
Until Your Glory is completely revealed.
We ache for You.
We pray for You to come,
And fill the void,
The secret, unspoken longing
Of all our hearts.

Father,
It's going to be a rough one
Down here today.
We pray that You would
Touch the lives of everyone -
Those who lost loved ones,
Those who were there and survived,
Those who helped others, and bear the scars,
Those who mourn at the devastating loss of life -
Touch their lives, Lord,
With Your Grace, and Hope, and Love.
Bring Peace to the
Fathers and mothers,
Brothers and sisters,
Husbands, wives, and children,
All family and friends
Of the dearly departed.
We pray that You would watch over and protect
This city
These states
This nation
All nations
As we wrestle
Personally and globally
With the adversary.
Help us, Lord.
Heal us, Lord.
Save us, Lord,
From each other,
And ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment