Friday, September 16, 2011

Pray Without Ceasing

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Many people say that
Before the day even begins,
We should pray to God.
My brain does not function
Without coffee in the morning,
So I usually start praying
After that first cup at Adalheid's
When I'm on the train.
Now, once begun,
I find myself praying continually
Throughout the day.

I used to think of prayer
As a stiff exercise in monotony.
Recitation, and a few personal elements
Thrown in for good measure.
I didn't have a clue.
I didn't realize that prayer
Endues us with Power, Strength,
Knowledge, Wisdom, Patience,
Gentleness, Longsuffering,
And all the Christian virtues
We struggle to cultivate
(Stupidly) On our own.
I didn't think that my problems,
Issues, concerns, struggles, and hurts
Were important enough
For the Lord to take an active interest in them.
I didn't know that the Hand of God
Could reach down
At the same moment that I was reaching up
And touch me.

Now...
Nothing is too big
Or too small
To bring to Him.
Family -
My sister's journey towards a normal life.
My future brother-in-law's job drama.
My aunt's health issues.
My cousin's arduous studies.
Work -
Conflicts on the team.
Problems with the computer system.
Personal tribulations of the staff.
Difficulties with clients.
Home -
Pets.
Bills.
Adalheid and the king.
Adalheid's wandering momma.
Self -
My journey closer to the Heart of God.
Battling demons, old and new.
Struggling to be okay with my singleness
In a world insistent on coupling.
(Well, I occasionally think it might be nice, too...)

That I'm praying more frequently
Begets the desire
To want to pray more frequently.
I know response is imminent.
I know God loves me enough
To send messages back to me.
The burning bush is not igniting before me,
But I hear His Voice clearly
Through Scripture and song,
The works of Bullinger, Bonhoffer, and Murray,
Odd "coincidences" and the voices of others.

Jesus speaks of entering a room,
Shutting the door,
And praying to the Father in secret. *
In my head,
We are constructing that room,
That space apart
Where I may meet with Him,
Confess to Him,
Petition Him,
Listen to Him,
Learn from Him,
Receive comfort from Him,
And ultimately,
Glorify Him.
There's a table, two comfy chairs,
Two cups, and a thermos
Of some of the best coffee ever.
I can enter that room
At any time,
And He is there,
The Eternal I AM,
The Faithful One.
The door is always open.
The welcome mat is always laid out,
And the coffee is always on...

* But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment