Saturday, July 9, 2011

Marred on the Wheel

My Lord God,
I've been on the Daniel Fast since Tuesday,
And I don't know
If I've ever felt more off-kilter 
In my life. 
There's a low-level rumbling
In my stomach
That will not stop. 
The methods of self-soothing
I am so accustomed to - 
Food and coffee and drink -
Are off limits to me. 
I find I am physically withdrawing
From the caffeine,
And the headache I've had since Monday
Is only today going away. 
I am more moody and cranky than usual. 
Everything going wrong at the office
Is magnified a hundredfold,
Until I long to smash the monitor
Against the windows. 
My Lord God,
I AM SO ANGRY!!!!
I remember this bubbling, 
This welling up
Of fury 
That would consume me 
When I was younger. 
Why is this surfacing now?
What is wrong with me?
I thought I was past all that,
Was way beyond
The urge to smash and break,
To swing and destroy. 
But no, three days without fleshly comforts
And I am frustrated beyond belief,
Snapping at people, 
Ready to cry 
When someone offers me 
A package of oatmeal cookies!
Father,
You are the Potter. 
I am the vessel. 
I implore you,
Take this spirit of anger from me,
Once and for all. 
Help me know Your Christ more fully,
So that I can understand the peace
That a life in Him can bring. 
Don't leave me here
Languishing
Wondering if there's any saving
From the sensation
Of being raw clay
Marred on the wheel...

No comments:

Post a Comment