Thursday, June 7, 2012

Compelled

When Didymus told me
That she needed emergency surgery,
I began asking a series of questions
Designed to find out
If she would have anyone
To take care of her in the days following.

Week one was being covered by her mom,
But then,
Her mother would need to resume
Her live-in nurse assignment.

Week two - alone? 
I chewed on that piece of information
Like a dog worrying an old bone to death,
And it left a terrible taste in my mouth.
Several days passed. 
I waited to see if the
Feeling overtaking me
Would dissipate and leave me.

It did not.  

Before I really understood
Why I was acting,
I found myself informing Didymus
That I would be staying with her
For week two of her recovery.

Considering that I had known her
For less than three months,
And that this meant getting on a plane
And flying back to New York,
It was all a bit sudden. 

Adalheid - God, bless her! -
Did not question me
Or plant seeds of doubt in me
When I told her
That I felt I must go.
Father,
Thank you for giving me a best friend
Willing to respect me enough
To not deter me from doing
Crazy things on impulse
When I sense that You are behind them. 

Is this a foretaste of what is meant
When they talk about
"Discerning the will of God?"
That You can pick me up
At a moment's notice
And drop me off
2200 miles away
From my current residence
Is a bit disconcerting!

O Lord,
Sometimes,
I feel like
A spiritual babe in the woods.
Protect me
As I walk the path
You set before me.
I cannot always see
Six inches before my face;
Teach me to trust You,
To trust the Holy Spirit
At work in me
When I find myself doing things
Far out of line
With my everyday life...

No comments:

Post a Comment