Thursday, June 7, 2012

Channeling Mommie

Adalheid's birthday morning,
I am tiptoeing around the house,
Hanging pink accent streamers,
Packing up a bag of birthday goodies,
And making a huge sign:
"Happy Birthday.
We Love You So!"

I step back for a minute,
And am stricken with
Memories of my mother
Doing these very same kinds of things
On our birthdays and holidays. 

As deeply as I have loved my mother,
I have often felt as though
I didn't absorb as much of her
Good and thoughtful and pleasing traits and qualities
As I would have liked. 

As I look around the kitchen,
I think to myself,
"Perhaps, God,
I have been wrong..." 

The thought occurs to me
That the traits and qualities in question
Simply needed some time to germinate,
And that in the years ahead,
They will bear beautiful blooms.

"Really, Lord?"

I feel a cosmic nod, a hug that emanates
From the streamers and sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment