Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Broken Sleep

The cat's need 
Has awakened me from sleep
For the past two months. 
I would feel her
Moving around on the bed
And I'd wake up
To give her water or food
As she would ask. 

The cat is gone,
But she continues
To awaken me. 

It was like this
When Mommie or Daddy was sick.
Anticipation - 
Adrenaline - 
I would awaken 
And stalk the halls,
Listening for breath
And motion
Before returning to bed. 

Daddy passed. 
Mommie passed.
I remained,
A wraith,
Still stalking halls. 

I constantly sneak up on Adalheid
Unannounced,
Not meaning to startle, 
But doing it nonetheless. 
She does not know
The school of training 
In stealth and silence
Is from tending to the sick,
In waiting for the inevitable. 

Lord,
Give me sleep tonight. 
Unbroken, deep, restorative.
Still me, Lord...
Still me at last...

No comments:

Post a Comment