Thursday, December 1, 2011

Psalm 23* - A Life's Reading

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
(The Lord God Almighty -
The Triune Godhead who made
The Universe
And everything in it -
He watches over me.
He knows in advance
Everything that I need,
And he provides for those needs
Abundantly.)

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
(When life overwhelms me,
And I'm perishing beneath
The Adversary's assaults,
He picks me up
And holds onto me
Tighter than I have the ability
To conceive of.
He plucked me up
Out of a Bogotá orphanage
And dropped me into
The laps of my parents.
He helped me move past
The grief and guilt and anger
Of my parents' untimely deaths.
He clams me and stills me
When that brain of mine
Races along mental paths
Better left untread.)

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
(I have messed up my life
Many times over.
I have made choices
That hurt not only myself,
But others as well.
I confess my sins -
All my sins -
To You, O My God,
And pray that You continue to do
What You have done before -
Bring good out of the bad,
And joy out of the sorrow,
Because truly, truly
I don't intend to harm,
But I don't always know
The good from the bad.
Only you can take what is bad
And turn it into good,
And I am grateful for the good
You have reaped
From the evil
I have sown.)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
(I know alot about
This particular valley,
Because I feel like I have died
A thousand different kinds of deaths...
The deaths of loved ones,
People and pets alike...
The deaths of homes,
And the security
That they provide...
The smaller deaths that accompany
Loss of trust in another,
Relationship breakups,
Friendships gone bad,
Financial hardship,
And burying dreams.
Yet,
You're in this valley, too.
Transforming emotions
And lessons learned
Into guideposts and maps
For the rest of my life's journey.
You chase away
My fear of the dark
And the unknown;
Even though I don't do it
Every night,
I can sleep with the light off.)

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
(You have given me
A family and a life
I wouldn't have known
Had I not been adopted.
You have given me
People who are
Blessings in my life.
You have given me
Pets to love and be loved by.
You have given me
A decent brain
To get me through school,
Enabling me to win scholarships,
Because I couldn't have gone otherwise.
You have given me
Apartments and jobs,
Shelter and sustenance.
You have gotten me
Out of hot water
When I didn't deserve it.
You have given me gifts
Of words and music
With which I will
Sing Your praises
All of my days.)

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
(Father,
You alone have sustained me
Thus far.
You have dealt lovingly
And patiently with me
Through all the rebellion,
The doubting,
The questing
And questioning.
No matter how far
I've tried to run,
The journey keeps
Bringing me back
To You.
Now,
I actively seek
Your Face
And Your Voice.
Eli, Eli!...
Guide me.
Grant me enough stillness
To hear You.
Direct me
In the ways that
I should go.
And when the end comes,
Take me home
To be with You,
To know You fully,
And to sing
Before Your Throne
For all eternity!...)

*KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment