Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cannoli Run

8:19 AM.
I am riding the train into work.
In my arms, are a box of cannolis
For the Aussie's ad agency meeting.
My arms are getting tired.
More and more people
Are pressing into me.
I'm trying to keep the box from being crushed
By protecting it with my body.
I am mildly annoyed that I have no seat.
The thought in my head has tone:
"Can't wait to give these cannolis
To the Aussie."

8:20 AM.
My cell phone rings.
It is the Aussie.
Can I bring the cannolis
To Manhattan.
Can I stop at the office first,
Do this and that,
Coordinate this, email that,
Schedule that finance meeting
That was pushed off from Tuesday,
Then get back on the train
And bring her the cannolis.

Of course. Of course.

Even as it's happening,
And I am agreeing,
I am laughing at myself,
And God is laughing at me, too.

Beneath the laughter,
A message from Him:
"You will go as far as I tell you to go.
Despite the difficulty,
You will go where I tell you,
When I tell you.
Trust Me.
It's all part of the plan."

Even to Manhattan, Lord?
To Ahwatukee?
To Bogotá, perhaps?

I am suddenly not laughing,
Realizing, instead,
That the life I lead is
Indeed not my own,
But His...

8:21 AM.
This is how
He reaches me best,
With real-life examples and messages
Manifesting in my everyday.

Lord,
Thank You that
I wasn't carrying something heavier,
Like a tray of cold cuts!...

No comments:

Post a Comment