Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Building Blocks

Lord,
When our souls
Were in the Before,
And You were putting together
The pieces of my sister and I,
What did You hope to accomplish
By putting such different people
In the same family
As sisters?

Our parents
Constructed a family,
A formidable edifice
That withstood
Illnesses, diasaters, and crises.
They recognized,
From early on,
That our dispositions
Were fundamentally at odds.
They were able to navigate
The oceans of difference
Between us,
Erecting bridges and harbors
To conquer the communication gap.
They're not here
To keep those channels open.
I confess
That I don't know how to.

Neither of us understand
What the other is made of.
Neither of us can converse
With each other
As effectively as we did
With Mommie or Daddy.
Different dreams, different goals,
Different motivations, different soulstuff -
The foundations of our hearts
Have been structured from
Such different ideas and emotions!

Lord,
Help me -
How do I reach her?
Can there be
Any safe common ground
Where we can both stand
And not feel threatened
By the foreignness
We detect in the other?

You are;
You see all things
In an arc,
Beginning to Ending.
Show me why, Lord,
Why it's like this with her,
Why it's so damn hard
So much of the time.
Show me where I make it hard,
And teach me not to.
Show me meaning, Lord,
Any gleaning of knowledge
So that I may understand
The why behind it all.

Eli,
Put the right thoughts in my head.
Put the right words in my mouth.
Move me in the right paths.
We are the work
Of Your Hands,
O Lord,
Master Craftsman,
Architect Divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment