Sunday, May 8, 2011

Psalm 57:2 - A Meditation

"I cry out to God Most High,
To God who fulfills his purpose for me."

"I"
Who?  Me.  My heart.  My soul.
Everything inside me.
Does what?
"Cry out"
Call to, as in distress
(Which I am often in)
As in, "Help!
Rescue me! Save me!
I'm drowning here!
Can't do this alone!
Can't do this without You!"
To Whom?
"To God Most High"
God -
The Eternal, Omniscient
Triune Godhead.
The God who fashioned me
In my mother's womb,*
And numbered every hair on my head.**
The God who plucked me out of
The land of my birth,
And gifted me with
A family, a life, here.
The Covenant God of
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
Who brought forth his Son
To die for my sins,
And raised Him from the dead,
So that I could have eternal life.
The God who sees all,
Knows all, plans all,
From his Heavenly Throne on High,
Creator of the Universe,
Of all that is seen and unseen.
Who do I cry out to?
HIM.
"To God,"
The I AM,
Ever-present,
Who sustains His Creation
With the Breath of Life,
And through His Son is
Reconciling the world
Unto Himself. ***
"Who fulfills"
What does it mean to fulfill?
Thesaurus.com spins it first as
A verb:
To bring to completion
And next as
A verb:
To succeed in doing.
This is a God of actions,
Doing, making, still working
Within His Creation.
Sounds like He's busy!
Busy fulfilling what?
"His purpose for me."
Who's purpose?
Not my parents', my sister's,
My friends', my boss',
Or even my own purposes,
But His purpose for me.
Which of course indicates that He has one -
A plan for me.
A future for me.
A meaning behind what appears to be
My random life.
Which means that He's not some clockwork god
Who wound up the Universe and left it to rot
And He's not so far away
That He can't see and act upon
What's happening now.
He's right here,
Working in me and through me
For His designs and ends.
God fashions all things
For good (even and including the bad things!)
For those He loves. ****

Lord,
Fulfill Your purpose for me.
Remind me that although I may not
Know the reason,
Or understand the course,
That You know and understand all,
And my eternal life is safe
In Your Hands. 

* Psalm 139:13
** Luke 12:7
*** 2 Corinthians 5:18-20
**** Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment