Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Looking for King David

It has been five years
Since I have been on a 
Simple date. 
Five years!
So much has changed
In that time. 
I am unrecognizable 
To myself. 
Those years have witnessed
The death of my mother
The sale of the family home 
A bout with illness that 
Continues even now
A job laden with responsibility
An apartment still not unpacked
After a year and a half
And shared with five pets
A best friend whose family
Has become my second one 
So many changes and struggles
Transforming me into who, 
I'm not sure yet,
All endured with the help of
Family and friends 
(For which I am grateful!)...
But I must admit 
That something is lacking
And the loneliness of the journey
Is starting to take its toll. 
I see other people coupled, partnered. 
I wonder, how does one find 
An ezer, a helpmeet,
A friend willing to share 
Your journey, your adventure,
Wanting to embark on one 
Jointly with you?
I wonder, and ask things like, 
"God, I'm such an oddball,
Is there actually someone out there
For me?"
I am looking for King David,
A sinner enraptured by the Heart of God,
Someone who will not judge me
For my past follies
And indiscretions,
Who can worship in song and word,
Whether seated on his throne,
Or staring down the point of a sword. 
Does such a one exist? 
Will I be able to incorporate him
Into the ragtag life I am building?
O Lord,
I will pray for that which I cannot utter aloud.
Only You know the workings of my heart. 
You said that it was not good for Adam to be alone - 
So even though he had You,
He was still alone
Because he lacked a compliment 
To himself! - 
And You gave him Eve. 
Could You send me someone please 
Someone the world looks at funny
(Like me)...
An ezer, a helpmeet,
A sinner enraptured by the Heart of God,
A godly man,
As they were once referred to. 
I am looking for King David,
But don't know where or how to look. 
I could use some help here, Lord,
Because even though I love
You, my family, my friends, and pets,
I'm wearing a little thin.
I, too, seek the refuges found
In the depths of
Another human heart... 

No comments:

Post a Comment