Saturday, March 30, 2013

Into the Grave

Good Friday service.
I was reading aloud to the congregation
A list of words
Associated with the Crucifixion:
Sun.
Crossbeam.
Incline.
Golgotha.
Pound...
Pound...

Moments later,
As the congregation filed out,
I sat in one of the back rows,
The sounds of nails being struck
Ringing in my mind's ears.

That my God
Should suffer and take upon Himself
The wrath and judgment
Wrought by my sinful life and nature
Is an idea I sometimes can hardly fathom.
Oh, I am grateful,
Knowing that I cannot even approach
My Creator unaided...
But the mere idea
That One would come
And stand in my place
And lead a sinless life
And bear the punishment
I so richly deserve
Is sometimes too much.
That My God should atone
For my sins with His life
And conquer death
And offer me the gift of eternal life?
There is no higher form of Love than this...

Into the grave He went,
The grave that would not
Be able to contain Him...

Rising,
Rising,
Lord and King,
You have ransomed us.
You have conquered death for us.

It is a comfort to know
That when I die,
And sleep in the grave,
That I will one day awaken
And behold Your Glorious Face!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment