Sunday, March 3, 2013

Faces

Sunday services.
Slides of Guatemala
Flow by in PowerPoint,
Scenes from the church's
Latest mission trip.

One of the missionaries
Talks about her daughter,
Who she adopted from Guatemala
Nineteen years ago,
Before they closed the country down
To international adoptions.

Thinking of my parents,
Traveling in Colombia
Over thirty-six years ago,
I feel my heart clutch.

The missionary goes on to talk about
The orphanage where they adopted her,
And how that orphanage is still standing,
But so few children are adopted.

The last segment of slides
Are of faces,
Mostly the faces of
Guatemalan children.
And my brain swirls around
With images of orphans,
And poverty,
And hunger,
And fear,
And loneliness.

O, My Lord God,
In the mountains of Bogotá,
My birth mother relinquished
Custody of me.
In the mountains of Bogotá,
A woman named Mercy
Handed me over
To my parents.

My life could have been so different.

I am so unworthy.
I am so blessed.

Master Author,
You who brought me forth
To a life rich with love,
What shall I do
With the life You have given me
That will please and glorify You?

No comments:

Post a Comment