Monday, November 26, 2012

Pine Tree

On the corner of the Upstate property
Is my mother's favorite pine tree.
Soaring to a height of over 40 feet,
Many summers we speculated about
The logistics of
Decorating it with Christmas lights.

We had many conversations
By this tree...
Conversations about
Life. Death. Everything in between.

"I want you to promise me
That if anything happens to me,
You will take care of Gabrielle."

That was an easy one.
One dognapping,
And a plane ride later...

"I had two daughters,"
She would say,
(Special emphasis on the word "two")
"So that you both
Could take care of each other
After we're gone."

A much harder arrangement, Ma.
Much harder to know
What are the right things to do...
Much harder to navigate
Her personality,
And the landmines present there...
Much harder to not negatively impact
My own life in the process.

But you asked,
And I promised,
And I'm trying.

Lord,
Help heal the aftermath
Of all that I've done,
And have yet to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment