Saturday, November 10, 2012

Disaster Area

Gerritsen Beach.
Never in my wildest nightmares
Have I envisioned what I saw today.

Cars haphazardly littering the avenue.
Trash and debris strewn in yards.
National Guard troops dispensing gas.
Dumpsters everywhere, loaded with
The water-logged detritus of so many lives.
Relief lines for food.
My sister and I stood on one of the lines,
Retrieving a hot meal for our aunt.
"You have no idea
How much this has taken out of me," she said.

Looking around... Yes, I do.

God...
As the five of us bed down
In my aunt's small living room,
I pray for Your Protection
Through this long, dark night.
I pray for Your Guiding Hand
For my aunt, her family,
And all the people devastated by Hurricane Sandy
Through these arduous days ahead...

Lord...
I am truly without anymore words...


No comments:

Post a Comment