Saturday, August 18, 2012

Table Fellowship

Last night:
Following the morning's
Unanticipated explosion,
I am in the kitchen
Preparing dinner
Setting the table
And the thought occurs to me,
"I may make the food he'll be eating,
But I'm not going to sit
And share a meal with his damn ass!"
I angrily slam items
Around the kitchen.

Very quietly,
The Holy Spirit
Speaks to my mind:
"Really?
You really won't share a meal with him?
The last meal on earth I shared
Was with the man who betrayed me,
And the Apostles who I knew
Would desert me in the hours ahead.

"Will you really
Not break bread with him?"

I stand still, floored,
And my righteous indignation
Flees me.

Anointed One...
There are moments
When Your Humanity
Is forgotten to me.
Thanks for the
(Not-so-gentle) reminder...

No comments:

Post a Comment