Friday, August 31, 2012

Birdman

Lord,
I just got off the phone with the birdman,
The severely lonely, lost soul
You dropped into my lap a few years back.

His tumors are back, and growing.
He's losing weight.
His family is driving him nuts.
He's fighting cancer,
And potential homelessness
By himself in the big city.

I have often wondered about how
He walked through life without being married
Or having children,
But then I look at myself,
And realize I don't have to look much further
Than within myself
To find the answer.

O Lord,
Grant the birdman a measure of grace and peace
As he wrestles with this tough time.
Touch him, heal him, help him.
You are the god of the outcasts, after all...
Please take care of him,
And protect him from his rebellious body,
His ill-intentioned family,
And the moodiness, crankiness, and kvetching
That act as a barrier between him and others.

I fear a day will come
When I call his home phone
And no one picks up anymore,
And I will have no way of knowing
What has become of him...

No comments:

Post a Comment