Monday, August 13, 2012

Aria for Alto Saxophone and Piano

We are at a concert,
the archer and I,
And the fifth number in
Is a piece unknown to me,
"Aria for Alto Saxophone and Piano,"
by Eugene Bozza.

The opening piano notes
Herald a wistful, melancholy tune,
And I brace myself
For the sax line,
But I am unprepared for it
Regardless.

The alto sax melody
Pierces me as few things can,
Expressing in notes
What I cannot utter aloud.
Its haunting, lilting voice
Washes over me,
Engulfing the dam
I hide my emotions behind.

Father...
What do I even start praying for?
Healing?  Release?  Change? 
A putting to death of the old person
In order to put on the new?

Do not use music
To cut me to the quick!
Do not
Allow me
To be so exposed!
Hide me, shelter me,
I pray,
Until I am fit to stand,
And not be so moved...

No comments:

Post a Comment