Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Psalm 4:8 - A (Somewhat Defiant) Meditation

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)

The snarky voice
That sometimes stalks abroad in my head
Comments "Really?"
As I read this verse.

The Holy Spirit in me
Shouts at the voice of snark to
Shut up, sit down,
Because she no longer
Runs the show.

Doubt,
And every seed, every shred
Of misgiving,
Leave me!
Forever be banished
To the outer regions.
Find someone else
To torture and torment,
To dangle on a string
With half-formed, morbid daydreams
And circuitous, spiraling scenarios.

I will be at peace,
Knowing that ultimately
I am in the hands of Someone
Infinitely more Powerful,
Infinitely more Loving,
And Infinitely more Merciful
Than I can fathom in ten thousand years.
Holy Spirit,
Remind me that
Nothing is irredeemable,
That all things -
Good and bad -
Are being used
For the Lord's Holy Purposes.
Remind me that
I am safe,
Ultimately safe,
Because I am at Peace
In Him.

Oh, and Doubt,
While you're taking
A long walk off a short pier,
Leave my twin alone.
Yeah, you heard me.
HER. Leave her be.
I banish you, on her behalf!
Don't let the door hit you
As you make a hasty exit!...

No comments:

Post a Comment