Sunday, April 22, 2012

Coronation

Then Pilate took Jesus and flogged him. And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head and arrayed him in a purple robe. They came up to him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" and struck him with their hands. (John 19:1-3)

In my mind's eye,
I see...

Holy Blood
Shed,
Hallowing the ground
As it sprays out
From beneath the whip's end...

The Crown of Thorns,
Undoing God's curse on Adam,*
Rudely thrust on Your Head...
You don't yell.
You don't freak out.
You submit, and obey,
Yielding Your Desires
To the Will of the Father.

They wrap You in Purple,
The universal color of royalty,
Not knowing that they are condemning to death
The King of the Universe,
Author of Life,
And Redeemer of the world.

They mock You,
Slapping You around,
The bullies of the world
Forever personified
In acts of violence
Against the meek and innocent.

The degradations do not end there,
But the final story
Ends in Your Triumph.

My Lord,
My King!
I cannot say that,
Had I been there,
I wouldn't have done likewise!
I cannot say that
Because I understand too well
The fickleness
Of my human heart!

My Lord,
My King...
I am beleaguered and worn
By enemies without
And enemies within.
Remind me of
The day of Your Coronation,
When Your Love triumphed
Over sin and death...
When the hour of Your Death
Heralded Eternal Life!

My Lord,
My God...
Grant that I may learn
Discernment of the Father's Will,
Submission to that Will even if
It runs contrary to my desires,
And the fortitude to stay the course,
Carrying the faithfulness that comes from
Knowing and trusting in God.

When death comes for me,
Take me into Your Kingdom,
That I may be present
At the Heavenly Coronation
Awaiting You in the Hereafter...

* Genesis 3 17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment