Thursday, December 20, 2012

Psalm 113:9 - A Meditation

He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD!

My dear, dear Adalheid,
Aside from my mother,
You have done the most
To mold and shape
The course of my life.

You know me throughly.
You accentuate and encourage
My good points and strengths
You push me beyond
My limits and flaws.
There are moments you know me
Better than I know myself;
The right words,
And the right gestures
Guide me, steering me
In the proper way.

I did not anticipate how radically
You would change my life
When I first met you
Back in that dumpy newspaper office
On Sheepshead Bay Road.
I am so happy,
And I owe so much of that
To you.

The Good Lord works
In the most mysterious of ways.
Only He could take a twice-orphaned child,
And place that child in the care
Of somone who has never had children.
Only He could knit us together,
Compelling you to ask me to move with you,
Compelling me to choose to do so.
It's been a long few years.
I have no regrets about the path
Unfolding before me.

May the Lord continue to bless you,
To make your home a haven
To humans and animals alike...
To bless this house with love
And laughter and protection and
Health and divine intervention and
Mercy and Grace and His Presence...

But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”  (Ruth 1:16-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment