Saturday, May 26, 2012

Gladiator Fire (or, A Prayer in the Spirit of Elijah)

Lord,
Elijah prayed down
Fire from Heaven.
He implored,
And You consumed
The offering,
The wood,
The stones of the altar,
The earth around it,
And the water of the trench.

I am praying,
I am imploring,
Nor for fire,
But for rain and damp,
Little to no wind,
Cool temperatures,
And an environment
That will stop the Gladiator fires
From thriving.

Over 16,000 acres
Have already been destroyed.
Residents anxiously watch and wait
For news about their homes.
Firefighters battle.
Wildlife flees.

Lord,
Forgive me my sins,
And harken to my prayer.
I humbly bring before You
The prayers of many
In this part of the world.
Stop the fires from spreading.
Allow for their containment,
And defeat.
Let those in harm's way
Acknowledge and glorify
The saving Grace
Of Your outstretched arm!

No comments:

Post a Comment