Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gabrielle's Biopsy

Lord,
When Mommie and I
Had one of those conversations
Every kid dreads having with a parent -
The "someday when I'm gone" conversation -
She told me that
If anything happened to her,
She wanted me to take care of Gabrielle.

One dog-knapping
And one cross-country move later,
I am still trying to honor
That promise.

It's rather easy
To want to do.
I love that dog something fierce!

Let's face it:
The term "dog"
Doesn't exactly do her justice.
She is something more...
A mischievous, fun-loving sprite
Living out life in a dog's body
Is closer to the truth.

Please let tomorrow's biopsy
Of her mammary tissue
Come back benign.
I've been hemming and hawing
About this issue for months.
I will at least have either peace of mind
Or more decisions to make
In the weeks ahead.

Father,
Give Gab
A happy, cancer-free retirement.
Give her many more days
Chasing balls and sticks
In Adalheid's backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment